Thursday, August 27, 2020

Hot Cheesy Cuban Rollups

Part of my 100 New Recipe goal this year is that I'm purposely cooking things like cookies, treats, and appetizers. They're recipes in my list and I can't "wait" to try them when I have company...within reason anyhow. 

This recipe is clearly an appetizer type recipe. My plan was to cook it and have a salad with it. I ended up just having the salad. 

The problem I always have with these types of recipes is that the inside dough RARELY gets cooked and I hate sticky, guncky dough. The outside dough was brown and almost well-done, and the inside was barely cooked. I also COMPLETELY missed the step to cut the roll up first then back. I totally baked the entire roll up and I think that is where I went wrong. 

Ok...I change my mind. I'm going to keep this one and try it again later and correctly. 

Hot Cheesy Cuban Rollups

Recipe from Tasteandsee.com
Serves 12

2 store-bought puff pastry sheets
10 ounces diced pickles (Buy one 20-ounce jar of Claussen sandwich slices - after draining the liquid this will yield the quantity you need)
1/2 c yellow mustard
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 pound thin-to-medium sliced deli ham (this should be more than enough to cover the two puff pastries)
9 ounces sliced Swiss cheese (about 18 slices - I used 9 slices for each puff pastry)
1 egg
1 T water

Thaw out two puff pastry sheets. Roll each one out just a bit onto two large pieces of plastic wrap. (10 1/2 x 10 1/2 inches)

Mix garlic powder, onion powder and mustard together in a small bowl. Spread this evenly across both puff pastry sheets, leaving a ¼-inch border all around the outside edges of the dough. Sprinkle 5 ounces (half) of the diced pickles on each pastry sheet, then layer on the cheese and the ham.

Roll up the dough, making sure that the ham and cheese don’t slide out while you’re rolling. Wrap the plastic wrap tightly around the roll ups, place on a baking sheet seam-side down, and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.

Preheat your oven to 375F and set racks to the upper and lower thirds. Remove the plastic wrap from the roll up, and place it on a cutting board. Using a serrated knife, gently cut (using a saw like motion) it into ¾-inch slices. You should have about 12 slices per roll up – 24 total.

Now lay each rollup on its side, on two baking sheets lined with parchment paper, spacing them an inch or two apart. You may need to reshape them a little to round them out. In a small bowl whisk the egg with 1 tablespoon of water, then brush this egg wash on top of each pinwheel. Bake for 24-26 minutes total, rotating the baking sheets midway through.

No comments: