Sunday, March 3, 2024

Crock Pot Steak Bites

I started walking with a friend the last couple of days. And while it's only for 30 minutes, I feel like my appetite has increased. Or I'm just always hungry. 

I love any beef/gravy combo usually. I've made some steak bite recipes that use brown gravy packet and I am not a fan of that flavoring. So when I found this recipe and calls for Au Jous instead of brown gravy I thought it would be a winner. 

And it was. 

I didn't get the meat thawed in time to put this in the crock pot. So I followed all the instructions, and I put it in a pot and let it simmer for 3 hours. Turned out fine. 

I did add a dash of Worcestershire sauce to round out the flavor a little. 

Pro tip: DO NOT salt anything until you let this cook a bit. The packet of au jus has a ton of salt. I added zero salt to this recipe and it was seasoned perfectly. I did, however, add a bit more pepper than the recipe. 

Crock Pot Steak Bites
Recipe from My Incredible Recipes
Serves 8

  • 3 pounds sirloin steak cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 2 T vegetable oil
  • 1 small sweet onion thinly sliced
  • 3 cloves garlic thinly sliced
  • 1 c unsalted beef stock
  • 1 ounce packet au jus gravy mix
  • 4 T unsalted butter thinly sliced
  • fresh chopped parsley for garnish optional

Place the steak into a large bowl with the salt and pepper and toss to combine.

Get a large skillet hot over medium-high heat and add half of the oil. Sear off the steak pieces in batches and place them into an 8-quart slow cooker. Add more oil to the pan if needed.

Once all the steak is seared, add the onion and garlic to the slow cooker, toss with the steak bites.

Pour in the beef stock. Sprinkle the au jus packet over the top. Lay slices of the butter over the top.

Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low 6-8 hours. Stir every 30 minutes or so if you can. Serve with a garnish of fresh parsley if using.

No comments: