Monday, March 25, 2024

Slow Cooker Pork Chile Verde

I'm not entirely sure why this recipe leapt off the page to me and yelled TRY ME, but it did and I did. And frankly, I'm sad that I did. 

This was not a good recipe for me. It both had and lacked flavor. I know that sounds weird, but let me try to explain. 

There was flavor there, but it was a vinegar-y flavor. It didn't have that salsa verde flavor I was expecting.

Oddly, that also lent to it not having flavor. I just can't really explain it.

Bottom line, this one was a fail. 

Slow Cooker Pork Chile Verde
Recipe from Lemon Blossom
Serves 8
  • 3 – 4 pounds pork butt (or shoulder), cubed
  • Salt and ground black pepper to taste
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 – 2 T olive oil
  • 1 11-ounces canned tomatillos
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 16-ounces jar salsa verde
  • 1 10-ounces can green enchilada sauce
  • 1 4-ounces can diced green chile (I use mild)
  • 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/4 tsp liquid smoke
  • 3 T cornstarch
  • 1/4 c water or chicken broth

Season the pork with salt, pepper and 1/2 teaspoon of cumin.

In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium – high heat. Working in batches (to not overcrowd the skillet), add the pork to the skillet and cook until golden brown. Add additional oil, if needed. Transfer the seared pork to the slow cooker.

Add the tomatillos to a food processor and blend until smooth. Transfer the tomatillos to the slow cooker.

Add the onions, garlic, salsa verde, green enchilada sauce, diced green chiles, oregano, cumin and liquid smoke to the crockpot. Mix to combine.

Cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 4 hours. About an hour before serving, mix 3 tablespoons of cornstarch with 1/4 cup of water or chicken broth. Stir in the cornstarch mixture and cook for an additional hour. Adjust seasoning to taste and serve!

No comments: