Friday, March 8, 2024

Beef and Cheddar Cheeseball

This month for book club, I was on the hook to bring an appetizer. I like to try something different instead of buying a premade at the store. And I like to mix it up. I don't like brining the same thing every time. 

Dried beef is a funny thing to me. I remember my grandma making chip beef gravy that we'd put over toast. Some folks call that S.O. S. I've only ever used it in dips and wondered if this would be a good thing to have in my preparedness kit. 

This was a delicious appetizer. DO NOT salt this immediately. That chip beef has a ton of salt in it. I didn't salt it at all and yet it turned out a little salty. 

What did I change: 
1. I didn't make a ball. I know. GASP. I put it in a dish and called it good. 
2. Because I didn't put it in a ball, I didn't use the pecans.


Beef and Cheddar Cheeseball
Recipe from Melissa's Southern Style Kitchen
Serves 12
  • 1 1/2 cups pecans toasted & chopped
  • 2 8 oz softened cream cheese
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp mayonnaise
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 2.25 oz jar dried beef i.e. Armour
  • 4 chopped green onions
  • 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Toast the pecan pieces for 6-8 minutes. Set aside to cool.

In a medium mixing bowl, cream together, the softened cream cheese, mayonnaise, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder and salt until light and fluffy.

Chop the dried beef and finely chop the green onions. Add to the cheese mixture then whip it in just until blended, to avoid pureeing the onion.

Mix in the shredded cheddar cheese by hand using a large spoon or spatula.

Shape into a ball. Wrap the cheese ball in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm.

Roll the chilled cheese ball in the toasted chopped pecans and serve with assorted crackers, veggies or pita chips.

No comments: