Thursday, March 21, 2024

Hamburger Macaroni Skillet

When I was in college and my early 20's I was broke. I mean, who wasn't during those years of their lives. A lot of my meals were raman, mac and cheese and hamburger helper. 

Somewhere in my late 20's early thirties I had a helping of Hamburger Helper and I almost tossed my cookies. It was gross. How could I have eaten that? 

I still have fond memories of it, but not at all interested in eating the boxed version of hamburger helper. 

This will feed a ton too. You could probably stretch this to 10 servings if you are serving sides. I LOVED this recipe. The comfort of it brought me back to my early life but way better than that. 

Super easy recipe. I highly recommend cavatappi as the pasta too. So yummy with all the twirls of it. The sauce really holds on. You should also have all your ingredients measured before you start. It's not that this moves fast, but it's a good practice to get into. 

Hamburger Macaroni Skillet
Recipe from I am Homesteader

Serves 8
  • 1 ½ pounds ground beef
  • 2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 T paprika
  • 1 tsp garlic salt
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
  • ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
  • 1 c beef broth
  • 1 ½ c whole milk
  • 2 T cornstarch
  • 1 pound cavatappi pasta, cooked al dente to package instructions
  • 3 c cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 1 T parsley, chopped for garnish

In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add ground beef and cook until it is no longer pink.

To the beef, add salt, paprika, garlic salt, onion powder, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Stir to fully incorporate all of the seasonings.

To a medium bowl add beef broth, milk, and cornstarch. Whisk together until smooth.

Pour mixture into ground beef, stir to incorporate completely. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally, until it thickens.

Add in cooked pasta and shredded cheese.

Garnish with freshly chopped parsley.


No comments: