Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Cuban Picadillo

I've had my fair share of picadillo in my time. And each time I think it's just ok. I'm not sure why I keep trying new recipes of it. 

This time I know EXACTLY why I tried it. Because I read "picadillo" and I thought Ropa Vieja. 

Cuban Picadillo is a classic comfort food and made of ground meat, and other flavorful things like olives, capers, and in some cases, raisins. 

Ropa Vieja (literally "old clothes) - is also a Cuban classic comfort food. It's usually shredded beef that is slowly cooked with onions, peppers, olives and tomato sauce. 

So you see, they're similar - it's an honest mistake. I prefer the shredded beef to the ground beef and I think that's why I'm always just ok with picadillo. 

Beside my weirdness, this is a good dish. Serve it over rice and its even better. 

Cuban Picadillo
Recipe from Skinny Taste
Serves 6

  • 1/2 large chopped onion
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tomato, chopped
  • 1/2 pepper, finely chopped
  • 2 T cilantro
  • 1-1/2 lb 93% lean ground beef
  • 4 oz 1/2 can tomato sauce (I like Goya, check label for Keto)
  • kosher salt
  • fresh ground pepper
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1-2 bay leaf
  • 2 T alcaparrado, capers or green olives would work too

Brown meat on high heat in large sauté pan and season with salt and pepper. Use a wooden spoon to break the meat up into small pieces. When meat is no longer pink, drain all juice from pan.

Meanwhile, while meat is cooking, chop onion, garlic, pepper, tomato and cilantro.

Add to the meat and continue cooking on a low flame. Add alcaparrado and about 2 tbsp of the brine (the juice from the olives, this adds great flavor) cumin, bay leaf, and more salt if needed. Add tomato sauce and 1/4 cup of water and mix well. Reduce heat and simmer covered about 20 minutes.


No comments: