Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Chef Salad

I've been trying to eat better at lunch time. Its the hardest meal for me to prepare because I rarely plan for it and end up eating crap. 

This week I decided a chef salad would be a good option for lunch. I can prep ahead of the time and have everything ready to throw together at lunch. 
Photo from Jo Cooks

Chef salads are easy to make. Having everything chopped ahead of time means I'm most likely to eat it. I chopped up some ham, had hard boiled eggs ready, chopped lettuce, had cheese, etc. 

I didn't care for the dressing for this salad. The second day I used ranch instead of the dressing recipe. I also didn't use butter lettuce. I use regular old Romain.

I didn't have any carrots, which is fine too. That's the beauty of chef salads, they are kinda the "kitchen sink" of salads. 


Chef Salad
Recipe from Jo Cooks
Serves 4

For Dressing:
  • ½ c mayonnaise
  • 1 T vinegar
  • ½ T sugar (granulated)
  • ½ tsp paprika
  • ¼ tsp black pepper (freshly ground)
  • ¼ tsp salt (or to taste)

For Salad:
  • 1 Boston lettuce (chopped)
  • ½ c peas
  • ½ c carrots (grated)
  • ¾ c cheddar cheese (shredded)
  • ¾ c ham (chopped)
  • 4 slices bacon (fried and chopped)
  • ½ English cucumber (sliced)
  • 6 green onions (chopped)
  • 6 cherry tomatoes (quartered or halved)
  • 4 eggs (hard boiled)

Make the dressing: Add all the dressing ingredients to a bowl and whisk until well combined. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Finish the salad: Add all the salad ingredients to a bowl and toss everything together. Drizzle with the dressing, toss and serve. Alternatively, you can arrange the ingredients in rows as seen in the pictures with the lettuce as a base.

No comments: