Monday, October 16, 2023

Jenn's Kick Ass EASY Bolognese (133 of 150)

Y'all know I love me some pasta. And Bolognese is my favorite. It's what I order almost every time we're trying a new Italian restaurant. It's my litmus test. 

I make a pretty killer Bolognese currently. It takes hours, and frankly, I don't always have hours. Mine is basically Tyler Florence's Bolognese. I have made a few modifications, but it's close. 

I had a jar of Rao's Marinara in my pantry, from when I don't know. I figured it was time to use it. I don't like jarred marinara ... ever. So I was confused why I had it. I suspect someone suggested it and I thought I'd try it. And you know what, it's delicious. It doesn't have that chemically taste jarred sauces often have. 

So I had to add to it. I wanted Bolognese, not just straight marinara. This recipe turned out amazing. And yes, I'm calling it a recipe. Just because it's simple doesn't mean it's not new and, oh yah, DELICIOUS!

Jenn's Kick Ass EASY Bolognese
Recipe from Jenn

Makes enough sauce for at least 4 people. 

124 oz jar Rao's Marinara (here's a link to it on Amazon, but you can get it at any grocery store.)
1 box favorite pasta (I used penne tonight)
1 onion, chopped
1/2 lb ground beef (I used 90/10)
2 T tomato paste
1/2 c heavy cream (or half and half)

Saute your onion until it's translucent. Add in your ground beef and brown. Once it's browned, add in 2 tablespoons of tomato paste and cook slightly. 

Once the tomato sauce has mixed thoroughly with the beef, add in the whole jar of Rao's. I also added about 1/2 jar of water to "clean" out the jar. It's not necessary, but it'll loosen the sauce a bit. 

Cook your pasta. 

I simmered the marinara for about 20 minutes on very low, uncovered. I took it off the heat and let it sit for 15 minutes, while I got my water boiling. 

Cook the pasta and drain. Right before you serve the marinara, add the heavy cream and stir. 

I usually mix my bolognese with the pasta. Doing that reheats it. 

No comments: