Sunday, October 15, 2023

Doris Spacer's Portuguese Green Beans (131 of 150)

Tonight was Sunday dinner. The theme was Portuguese - dah. I made Bifana sandwiches and the folks
who were bring a side had to bail on tonight. So I quickly thought I'd make some green beans.

I looked up Portuguese Breen Beans and found this recipe. I made two small changes to it. 

1. I didn't use 8 c chicken broth. I started with 4 and 2.5 lbs of green beans. 
2. I put it in the crock pot on low for 4 hours. 

I already had something taking up my big pot on the stove (the bifana meat) and so I figured a crock pot would do just as good. 
Photo from Cooking Channel

Bottom line...these were fan - freakin - tastic. Oh man. I was surprised how good these were and can't wait to make them again.


Doris Spacer's Portuguese Green Beans
Recipe from Cooking Channel TV

Serves 10
  • 8 cups chicken broth
  • 5 to 6 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 to 2 pounds Portuguese linguica sausage, thinly sliced
  • 4 cloves garlic, diced
  • 2 medium onions, finely chopped
  • 3 pounds fresh green beans, ends removed
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper

In a medium saucepan, bring the chicken broth to a boil. 

In a large pot over medium heat, pour the olive oil to cover the bottom of the pot and sauté the sausage, garlic and onions until they start to get soft. 

Now, add the raw green beans and keep turning them over until they are all coated. 

Cook for 5 minutes, and then add the chicken broth. Simmer until the beans are very tender, 45 minutes to an hour. 

Season with the salt and pepper and serve immediately.

No comments: