Thursday, October 12, 2023

Chicken with Garlic Parmesan Rice (129 of 150)

Chicken and rice casseroles are a way of life in a house where mom and dad worked and had to get dinner on the table relatively quickly. We had all varieties of chicken and rice casseroles. So much so that I kinda told myself I'd avoid chicken and rice casseroles when I was in a position to make my own dinner meals. 

Turns out that I lied to myself. Spanish rice from dad and a mushroom rice/chicken casserole mom used to make are my all time favorites. I repeat them at least a couple times a year. 

When I come across a chicken and rice recipe I'm reluctant to even try it. I think them boring and flavorless. Well, not this one. 

It has very few ingredients, but the star is BY FAR the garlic in this recipe. The wine adds a nice acid to the recipe too. I'd make this again for sure. 

I totally forgot to put the parmesan over the whole thing. In fact, didn't remember until I was shoving the last bite in my mouth. 




Chicken with Garlic Parmesan Rice
Recipe from What's In The Pan

Serves 4
  • 1 lb. chicken tenders
  • Salt and pepper
  • ½ tsp garlic powder
  • 2 T olive oil
  • ½ c butter, (1 stick)
  • 2 T minced garlic
  • ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1 tsp salt, divided
  • ½ c dry white wine, (such as Pinot Grigio)
  • 1 ½ c white rice, (uncooked)
  • 3 c chicken broth
  • ½ c Parmesan cheese, (grated or shredded)

Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Season chicken with salt and pepper and garlic powder. Sauté chicken tenders until nicely browned and just cooked through. Remove from skillet and set aside.

Add butter, garlic, pepper flakes and ½ teaspoon of salt to the empty skillet and sauté garlic for a couple of minutes on medium heat.

Turn heat to medium high and add white wine. Cook and stir for about 5 minutes. Remove and set aside 3 tablespoons of pan sauce to use later.

Add uncooked rice to skillet with remaining butter sauce. Stir well – make sure it’s completely covered. Add chicken broth and remaining ½ teaspoon of salt. Bring mixture to a low boil then reduce heat to medium-low, cover pan and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir several times while it’s cooking

Sprinkle parmesan over rice then arrange chicken tenders in skillet over rice. Cover, remove from heat then let stand for 5 minutes.

Drizzle reserved 3 tablespoons of pan sauce over chicken tenders when serving and garnish with parsley.

No comments: