Tuesday, September 7, 2021

V8 Beef and Vegetable Soup (Recipe 122 of 125)

This soup was fantastic. Though I gotta say, I think I made up a whole new recipe since I didn't follow almost half of this one. 

Photo from 12 Tomatoes
First I didn't realize it was a slow cooker meal until 5:30pm as I started dinner. Oops. No matter. Soups can simmer for a bit on the stove and be just fine. I simmered this bad boy for about 30 minutes. 

Second, I used 1 can mixed vegetables (gotta love VegAll), then added a small can of green beans and a small can or corn. No reason. It's just what I had on hand. 

Lastly, I didn't use beef bouillon cubes. Those are my least favorite things to cook with. I just used beef stock and added about 3 cups. 

Oh wait, there was one more switch. I used the V8 Spicy Hot mix. First - it's not very spicy and second it's not very spicy. I had to add a dash of Cholula hot sauce. 

Bottom line, this was a simple and delicious soup. It'll be in the rotation for this fall for sure. 

V8 Beef and Vegetable Soup (Beware this is a slow cooker recipe)
Recipe from 12 Tomatoes

Serves 4

24 oz V8 juice
24 oz ounce water (JW Note: Or 3 cups beef stock)
1 cans mixed vegetables, undrained (or equivalent of desired veggies)
1 pounds ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 cubes beef bouillon
Salt and pepper to taste

JWNote: This recipe is a slow cooker recipe. I don't think it needs to be, and I completely missed that note when I made this. I did the whole thing on the stove. Browned the beef and onions, then added everything else. Let it simmer for 30 minutes and voila... soup.

Here are the real instructions: 

Brown ground beef and onions in a saucepan over medium-high heat and set aside once cooked.

In slow cooker combine beef mixture, V8, water, bouillon, and vegetables. 

Set slow cooker to low and cook for 6 hours or set to high for 3 hours.

Add salt and pepper to taste and serve piping hot.

No comments: