Sunday, September 26, 2021

French Onion Hamburger Steaks with Potatoes and Gravy (Recipe 128 of 125)

Photo from Cook's Country
I love French Onion soup. I rarely order it but I do love it. It's usually too salty for me, but it's so damn
good. 

I took a pretty big departure from this recipe.  To try to keep it "more" lower in carbs, I chose to not make the gravy. I think that was a mistake, but it was ok. 

The potatoes I mead were not these, but rather the Lipton Onion Soup potatoes. Friend Kathy got me addicted to these when she made it for book club. If you're looking for an uber delicious and easy potato recipe, this is it.

Ok. Other departures...I didn't pan fry the burgers. I am horrible with pan frying, so I grilled the burgers instead. What I didn't plan on is the torrential downpour that would be going on as I was trying to grill. Dad taught me rain or shine, so I stepped out into the rain and grilled. 

Because I wasn't doing the gravy, all I did was sauté the mushrooms in olive oil. I missed the gravy, but not that much. 

Overall, this was a good recipe. If I made it again, I'd do the gravy. I think that would have tied it all together. 

French Onion Hamburger Steaks with Potatoes and Gravy
Recipe from Cook's Country
Serves 4

1 1/2 lb small Yukon gold potatoes, unpeeled and halved
1 T unsalted butter, melted, plus 3 T unsalted butter not melted
Salt and Pepper
1 1/2 lbs 85 % lean ground beef
1/2 c panko bread crumbs
2 T Lipton Onion Soup and Dip mix
8 oz cremini mushrooms, trimmed and sliced thin
1 T flour
1 c beef broth
2 T minced fresh chives

Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 450F. Toss potatoes, melted butter, salt and pepper together on rimmed baking sheet and flip potatoes cut side down. Roast until potatoes are tender and well browned, about 30 minutes. 

Meanwhile, combine beef, panko and soup mix in bowl. Form mixture into 4 4-inch patties, about 1/2 inch thick. Melt 1 T butter in 12 inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook patties until well browned and meat registers 130 degrees, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to platter and tent with foil. 

Add mushrooms to now empty skillet and cook over medium-high heat until well browned, 5-7 minutes. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minutes. Stir in broth, bring to boil, and cook until thickened, about 1 minutes. Off heat, stir in remaining 2 T butter. Spoon sauce over steaks and sprinkle with chives. Serve with potatoes. 

No comments: