Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Rosie’s Famous Mexican Rice

As often happens when waiting for a meeting to start, you chat with your coworkers about simple things like food. One of my coworkers mentioned she had "the best" Mexican rice recipe. Well, "the best" just screams that I need to try it. 

Like me, she doesn't measure, so this recipe is more of a guess than actual. Though having made this tonight, these measurements are pretty close. 



Rosie’s Famous Mexican Rice
Recipe from Rosanne from Work

Serves 4 I think

Note from Rosie: I don’t measure seasoning, so I’m just guessing

  • 1 cup white rice (I like medium grain)
  • 1 small can spicy V8 juice, or one small can tomato sauce [JWnote: I used 2 small cans of Spicy V8]
  • Water – I’ll explain this later 😊
  • ¼ cup chopped white or yellow onion [JW: I used one small yellow onion, finely chopped]
  • Any color bell pepper – ¼ cup chopped [ JW: you know I didn't add this]
  • 2 T garlic powder (don’t use ginger) [JW; I'm pretty sure she doesn't me 2 tablespoons. That seems like a lot. I used 1 tsp and it was just fine]
  • 1 T ground cumin [JW: I didn't add cumin. I missed it. 1 tablespoon seems like too much, she might have meant tsp. A little goes a long way.]
  • 1-2 T salt
  • 2 tsp pepper
  • 2 T vegetable oil

Heat oil over medium/high heat in skillet until hot.

Sauté rice, onion and bell pepper over medium high heat, stirring often, just until the rice starts to toast.

Pour tomato sauce or V8 into a measuring cup, then fill with water until you have 2 ½ cups combined liquid [ JW: This is where I used two small cans of V8 and filled the rest with water]. Pour this into the rice and add the seasonings. Stir briefly and bring to a boil.

Once it is boiling, lower heat to low and simmer, covered for 25 minutes.

No comments: