Friday, November 13, 2020

Slow Cooker Low Carb Chili

I didn't get my chili fix this year in October. It's tradition to make Frito Lollis for the October Sunday dinner - and well we didn't get to have a Sunday dinner (thanks Covid). Frito Lollies used to be our Christmas Eve tradition, but I shifted it to October. 

I was sitting at my desk today wondering what I'd be having for dinner when I saw a post from my younger sister. She posted a recipe for chili. Yes! That's what we'll have. 

Enter this low carb chili recipe (the one she shared). I love every recipe I've made from WholeSomeYum. I'm sure this one will be no different. It's got all the things a good chili needs...except beans. Since it's low carb, there are no beans. My version, however, has beans. Chili isn't chili without beans. 

The original recipe has directions for instant pot or slow cooker. I don't have an instant pot, so I went slow cooker. 

Slow Cooker Low Carb Chili
Recipe from WholesomeYum

Serves: about 8-10 I'd guess

  • 2 1/2 lb Ground beef
  • 1/2 large Onion (chopped)
  • Beautiful photo by
    WholeSomeYum
    8 cloves Garlic (minced)
  • 2 15-oz can Diced tomatoes (with liquid)
  • 1 6-oz can Tomato paste
  • 1 4-oz can Green chiles (with liquid)
  • 2 T Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 c Chili powder
  • 2 T Cumin
  • 1 T Dried oregano
  • 2 tsp Sea salt
  • 1 tsp Black pepper
  • 1 medium Bay leaf (optional)

Crock Pot slow cooker instructions

In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook the chopped onion for 5-7 minutes, until translucent (or increase the time to about 20 minutes if you like them caramelized). Add the garlic and cook for a minute or less, until fragrant.

Add the ground beef. Cook for 8-10 minutes, breaking apart with a spatula, until browned.

Transfer the ground beef mixture into a slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients, except bay leaf, and stir until combined. Place the bay leaf into the middle, if using.

Cook for 6-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high. If you used a bay leaf, remove it before serving.

No comments: