Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Carne Guisada (Latin Beef Stew)

This is the second Carne Guisada recipe that came up in my random selection of recipes. Random? 

Yes, random. I have a spreadsheet that has all my recipes. I actually keep the recipes in a recipe manager called Paprika. Each week I have a random number app select 10-15 random numbers which I then correlate to the row number in the spreadsheet. If I've made the recipe before, I move on to the next random number. I will admit I don't always make what the randomizer comes up with and that's mostly because appetizers or breakfasts aren't easy for a week's menu. 

At any rate, my point is I don't completely control what I make each week. I kinda like it that way. 

This recipe didn't seem to have enough liquid for cooking 1.5 hours. I added 1c beef stock in addition to the 1/3 c water. I also think I probably added more like 1/2 c beer. I didn't measure that, I mean, why bother. 

I only used Adobo seasoning, didn't have any Sazon. It turned out fine without it. It turned out just fine. I didn't serve it over rice or anything. I had some leftover tortillas so I ate the stew with that.

Carne Guisada (Latin Beef Stew)

Recipe from SkinnyTaste

Serves 5

  • 2 tsp olive oil
    Photo from SkinnyTaste
    She takes way better photos than me.

  • 1 c scallions, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 small tomatoes, diced
  • 2 T cilantro, minced
  • 1.5 lb beef stew meat, cut into small chunks
  • 1/3 c light beer
  • 1/3 c water
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/4 tsp adobo, or salt
  • 1/2 tsp achiote, or sazon
  • 1 bay leaf
  • salt to taste
  • 10 oz baby red potatoes, halved or quartered

In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat oil over medium heat.

Add scallions and garlic and sauté about 2 - 3 minutes; add tomatoes, cilantro and a pinch of salt. Cook another 2 minutes, stirring.

Add beef to the pot along with beer, water, cumin, adobo, achiote, bay leaf and salt if needed.

Cover and simmer on low heat 1 1/2 hours.

Test to make sure beef is tender, if not cook another 15 minutes.

Add potatoes and cook until soft, about 20 minutes depending on the size.

No comments: