Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Stout-Marinated Steak Tips

Oh....My...God...

This recipe was do dam delicious that I barely have words for this. The marinade was fan-freakin-tastic. This is definitely going on the Sunday Dinner and repeat list. 

Definitely let this marinade for at minimum 8 hours. I managed just slightly over 8 and that long marinade made the difference I think.

My next time I make this I'll buy a better cut of meat. I had never heard of flap meat. When I Googled it they referred me to Sirloin Tip. That's a tough piece of meat, but I thought  maybe the marinade would change that. It really didn't. I'd go with NY Strip or TriTip next time. 

I'd also take about a cup of the marinade and set it aside. Cooking that down to drizzle over the top seems like a brilliant thing to do.

Stout-Marinated Steak Tips
Recipe from Food Network

Serves 10-12

  • 5 pounds beef flap meat
  • 4 ounces soy sauce
  • 4 ounces Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 c molasses
  • 1 pound brown sugar
  • 1 T red pepper flakes
  • 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 5 or 6 cloves garlic, smashed
  • 2 cans stout (recommended: Guinness)

Trim the silver skin and icky fatty parts from your flap meat, then cut into 3- or 4-ounce chunks, or whatever size you like. Place in a container with a tight-fitting lid; don't forget to leave extra space for the marinade.

In a large bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, molasses, brown sugar, red pepper flakes, black pepper and garlic. Add the stout; be careful, it will foam a bit. There is really no need to add salt--the soy and Worcestershire are plenty salty.

Pour the marinade over the beef tips and stir gently to evenly coat. (If you don't use all the marinade, it will keep, refrigerated, in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.)

Refrigerate the meat for 8 hours or overnight; it will keep for up to 4 or 5 days. Cook as desired.

No comments: