Sunday, November 8, 2020

S.O.S for dinner

 It must be that it was mom's birthday last week and that has made me nostalgic. Either that or the political crazy out there pushed me to "eat" for comfort. Regardless of what it is, I have found a couple of comfort meals that I have made or will be making. 

Tonight it's SOS. AKA Hamburger Gravy over toast. 

SOS is very much a military meal. If you are in a military family, there's a good chance you know about this meal. In our family, not only was it because my real dad was in the military, but it also fed us all for very little.

This is a super simple recipe and I (or anyone) should be able to make it without a recipe and with one arm tied behind my back. But since I've been posting recipes that are old school, it felt like this should be posted too. 

SOS
Recipe from...the military

  • 1 lb ground bef
  • 2 c milk (I used 2% or higher for gravy)
  • 4 T salted butter
  • 4 T flour
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 12 slices of bread (if you are going old school. I use biscuits for mine)

Brown ground beef. Season with salt and pepper. Drain and set aside.

Melt butter in same pan, add flour and stir until bubbly and mixed together. Basically making a reaux.

Add milk and stir constantly until thick and bubbly. Add meat back in and stir. Adjust seasoning as needed. 

Serve over toast.

Second way to make it:

Mom used to brown the meat and usually there was enough grease to help thicken the gravy. She'd sprinkle the flour over the beef and cook it for a minute or so - cooking out the flour taste. Then she'd add the milk in - she'd warm the milk before adding it. Then she'd stir it to bubbly and gravy consistency. She also never seasoned it until it was in gravy form because she said she often over seasoned it. 

No comments: