Thursday, July 30, 2020

Steak Fried Rice

Chinese food is my #2 favorite food - a very close #2 after Italian. Unfortunately there aren't any great Chinese food restaurants in my area. There used to be, but they closed (Thanks COVID). So when I'm craving carbs, and Chinese food, fried rice is my go to. 

The ONLY modification I made to this was I used brown rice. I'm not a fan of brown rice, but I'm trying to be a little better. 

I also cooked the rice last night and let it sit in the fridge. Fried rice to me turns out better when you use left over rice. 

Steak Fried Rice
Recipe from...I have no idea. 
Serves...I have no idea. 4 maybe?

3 quarts water
1 1/2 c long grain white rice
5 T soy sauce
2 T hoisin sauce
1 T sriracha
1 skirt steak, trimmed
2 T toasted sesame oil, divided
4 scallions, white parts minced, green parts sliced thin on bias
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 c frozen peas and carrots, thawed

Cook Rice.

Combine soy, hoisin, and sriracha in a bowl; set aside. 

Cut steak with grain into 2" wide pieces, then slice pieces thin against grain. Heat 1 T oil in nonstick skillet over high heat until just smoking. Add steak and 2 T soy sauce mixture to skillet and cook until steak is well browned, about 4 minutes. Transfer steak to a bowl; set aside. 

Add remaining 1 T oil to skillet, add scallion whites and garlic and cook until fragrant. Stir in rice and remaining soy sauce mixture. Cook, stirring often, until rice is sizzling and popping loudly, about 4 minutes. Push rice to 1 side of skillet. Pour eggs into empty side and skillet and cook until just set, about 1 minute. Stir eggs, steak,scallion greens and peas/carrots into rice. 

No comments: