Monday, August 5, 2024

Slow Cooker Steak and Gravy

It's been hot here and for some reason a crock pot recipe made sense. I didn't want to turn on the oven or anything that would add heat. 

This recipe was just ok. I don't know why I keep trying these. They never wow me. 

This recipe had an ingredient I've never seen nor heard of before. JUST when you think you've seen it all. 

Onion Gravy. Where has this been all my life? I had to go to a different store (Safeway) to find it. And I think I'm glad I did. It's not onion soup mix, but it is as salty so don't salt anything until you taste the gravy later. It has a nice, mellow onion flavor to it. Try it. 

I made one small modification to the recipe. See, I'm trying to eat the stuff in my freezer and I didn't have round steak. I did have stew meat that had been tenderized. So we went with that. It wasn't 3 lbs, but I never make the full recipe. I always cut it in half. (Well in this case I did not cut the gravy in half because it's impossible to do that with a packet of something.)

The tenderized cubes were too tender for this recipe at 8 hours in a slow cooker. They basically melted. I don't recommend them. 

Slow Cooker Steak and Gravy
Recipe from Butter Your Biscuits
Serves 8
  • 3 pounds round steak see notes
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • 3 tablespoons Olive oil divided
  • 1 large onion cut into chunks
  • 2 packages onion gravy
  • 3 cloves garlic smashed
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 beef bouillon cube
  • 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch

Heat a large skillet on medium high heat and add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season the round steak with salt and pepper on both sides. Place the round steaks into the skillet and brown for 2-3 minutes then flip and sear for 2-3 minutes then place into the slow cooker.

Add the remaining olive oil into the skillet then add the onions to get a brown, then place into the slow cooker.

Add in the garlic, onion gravy, water, and bouillon cube cook on low for 8 hours

30 minutes before its done mix the cornstarch with ½ cup of the gravy and mix to make a slurry. Add the slurry with the mushrooms to the slow cooker, give it a stir. Turn the slow cooker to high and cook uncovered for 20-30 minutes.

Serve over mashed potatoes, rice or noodles.

No comments: