Sunday, August 18, 2024

Mom's BBQ Sauce

Mom's BBQ Sauce is legendary in my childhood. It was what I asked for for my birthday dinners. Grilled drumsticks and Mom's BBQ sauce. She'd used to joke that it was a secret family recipe and I'd only get it on my wedding day. Like a dowry. 

Fast forward to me being an adult. Mom gave me the recipe and told me to not share it with anyone...ever. There was always a "secret" ingredient she'd never tell me about so if I did tell someone it wouldn't be the full recipe. I have no idea where she actually got this recipe or if she just made it up. We'll never know.

So here I am putting it on the blog WITH the secret ingredient. 


Mom's BBQ Sauce
Recipe from Jo (Mom) Wraspir
Makes about a cup of sauce

1 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon vinegar (I ended up using about 1/4 c vinegar. It was too sweet for me).
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon teriyaki sauce (the secret ingredient)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp celery seed
1/4 tsp garlic salt (I ended up using a full tsp)
1/4 c brown sugar

Combine all the ingredients. Microwave for 1 minute or cook it on the stove until it warms. Brush over meat. 

Not too surprisingly I did not cook it in the microwave or the stove. I just brushed the meat with it. 

No comments: