Wednesday, August 28, 2024

Au Jus Mushroom Rice

Photo from 
Plain Chicken
It's been a while since I've made a rice dish that wasn't just plain rice. If I make rice pilaf it's usually by opening a box and pouring it's contents into boiling water. 

Rice on the stove never turns out for me. I have a flat top stove and trying to regulate the heat is next to impossible for me, so the rice is usually over done (dry) or under cooked (soggy). Thus, my rice is made in a rice cooker almost all the time. Except when I've bought the Jasmine Frozen Rice from Trader Joe's. That stuff is amazing. 

This recipe was good. When/if I did it again, I'd not use beef stock and just stick to water. The au jous packet gives plenty of beef flavor. The two combined made it a little salty. 

I cooked the mushrooms for about 5 minutes before I put in the rice to cook. I wanted a bit more "char" on my mushrooms. 

Au Jus Mushroom Rice
Recipe from Plain Chicken
Serves 6

  • ¼ c butter
  • ½ lb sliced mushrooms
  • 1½ c long grain rice, uncooked
  • 3½ c beef broth
  • 2 T dried minced onion
  • 1 (1-oz) package au jus gravy mix
  • ½ tsp oregano
  • salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add mushrooms and rice. Cook until rice is golden, about 5 minutes.

Add remaining ingredients. Stir to combine.

Bring to a boil. Reduce heat too low. Cover and cook for 20 minutes, until rice is tender and all the liquid is absorbed.

No comments: