Sunday, November 26, 2023

Crock Pot Beef Stew (151 of 150)

Photo from Life in
the Loft House
Beef stew is not a hard thing to make for me. I use my Grandma Spaid's recipe. Simple, old fashioned and delicious. 

Every now and then a stew recipe is randomly selected. The photo on the recipe page is what caught my eye for this one for some reason. I didn't actually read the full recipe until I was doing my grocery shopping for the week. And even then, I didn't really think about this recipe. 

This morning as I was putting it together it dawned on me that I have never, EVER , used Cream of Celery soup in anything, let alone in a stew. 

I added a couple of tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce because it just wasn't savory enough for my taste. I also added a tablespoon of tomato paste. The ketchup is weird and sweet so I needed more tomato taste it felt like. 

Overall, this was a good stew. It was hearty, filling and good enough. I won't make it again, but not because it was a bad recipe, but because I'll just use my Grandma's recipe. 



Crock Pot Beef Stew
Recipe from Life in the Loft House
Serves 8
  • 2 packages (1 ounce, each) dry onion soup mix
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 2 pounds lean beef stew meat cut up into bite size pieces
  • 5 medium potatoes peeled and diced
  • 2 to 3 c baby carrots
  • 1 small yellow onion chopped
  • 2 cans (10 ounces, each) cream of celery soup
  • 1 c ketchup *(you can substitute tomato sauce if you don't like ketchup)

In a large plastic bag, combine the dry onion soup mix and paprika. Add in meat and shake the bag to coat meat with the seasonings. (You may have to do that step in two batches, for all the meat to fit) Once meat is coated, spread out evenly into a greased 7 quart crock pot.

Top meat evenly with diced potatoes, carrots and onion.

Mix the cream of celery soup and ketchup in a small bowl. Pour mixture over the meat and vegetables.

Cover crock pot with lid. Cook on low heat for 8 hours or until meat is cooked through and vegetables are tender. Stir to combine everything then serve.

No comments: