Monday, November 13, 2023

Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Soup (146 of 150)

Normally tomato soup is my sick food. I'm not sick - just so I'm clear. This recipe filtered through my random selection this week. It's fall so soups are perfect. 

I didn't make the croutons in the recipe. I had a grilled cheese  made with "fancy" bread - meaning not bread in a loaf. I mean grilled cheese and tomato soup are two peas in a pod. 

This was a solid recipe. I had it in the slow cooker for 4 hours. I added a bit more water after about 3 hours because I like my soups a little more soupy. 

One thing to note, when adding the cream, I like to temper it. Meaning put the cream in a measuring cup then ladle in some soup to warm up the cream before adding to the soup. I find when adding cold cream to a tomato based sauce I sometimes get curdling. I did not this time. 

If you don't have an immersion blender, like me, try putting it in a blender. Be careful though because hot liquids tend to splash out at times. 

Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Soup
Recipe from Damn Delicious
Serves 8
  • 2 28-ounce cans whole peeled plum tomatoes with basil
  • 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
  • 1 ½ cvegetable broth
  • 3 cloves  garlic, minced
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 2 T tomato paste
  • 1 ½ tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • ½ tsp kosher salt
  • ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
  • ⅓ c heavy cream
  • ⅓ c chopped fresh basil leaves

FOR THE PARMESAN CHEDDAR CROUTONS:
  • 4 c 1-inch French bread cubes
  • 1 c shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
  • ¼ c freshly grated Parmesan
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly oil a baking sheet or coat with nonstick spray.

To make the parmesan cheddar croutons, spread bread cubes in a single layer onto the prepared baking sheet; sprinkle with cheeses. Place into oven and bake until crisp and golden, about 10-12 minutes, stirring halfway; set aside and let cool.

Place tomatoes into a 6-qt slow cooker. Stir in tomato sauce, vegetable broth, garlic, onion, bell pepper, tomato paste, oregano, sugar, salt and pepper until well combined. Crush the tomatoes into chunks using the back of a spoon.

Cover and cook on low heat for 7-8 hours or high heat for 3-4 hours.

Puree with an immersion blender until desired consistency is reached. Stir in heavy cream and basil; season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Serve immediately with parmesan cheddar croutons.


No comments: