Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Hobo Stew (Mulligan Stew) (150 of 150)

That's it! I did it! I met my goal of 150 new recipes this year. I suspect I'll get to about 165 by end of the
year. 

This was delicious. I always love a nice, hearty stew/soup when it's cold out. And since I'll be eating left over turkey it was nice to have some leftovers other than turkey. 

This soup/stew can be made with most everything you probably have in your pantry, which makes it budget friendly and can feed a crowd. 

Two things I didn't do. I didn't add the potato. I've decided that I'm not a fan of potatoes in soup. They get too mushy. And you might also notice I didn't add peas. No thank you! I cut up extra celery and carrots though. 


Hobo Stew (Mulligan Stew)
Recipe from Butter Your Biscuits
Serves 6
  • 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 1 c celery, chopped about 3 stalks
  • 2 c carrots, diced about 3 medium carrots
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 T all-purpose flour
  • 2 c low sodium beef broth
  • 2 beef bouillon cubes
  • 2 15-ounce cans tomato soup
  • 1 14.5 can diced tomatoes do not drain
  • 1 T Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tsp hot sauce
  • 1 tsp cajun seasoning
  • 2-3 c Russet potatoes
  • 2 c frozen corn
  • 1 1/2 c frozen peas
  • 2 c green beans fresh or frozen
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper

Heat a large Dutch oven or pot on medium-high heat and add the ground beef cook for 4-5 minutes just until starting to brown.

Add in the onion, celery, carrots, and garlic, and cook another 4-5 minutes.

Sprinkle in the flour stir and cook for about 30 seconds

Pour in the beef broth, bouillon cubes, tomato soup, diced tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce and cajun seasoning and mix until combined.

Add in the potatoes, corn, peas and green beans cover and let simmer over medium low heat for 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

Add the salt and pepper or more to taste.

No comments: