Wednesday, July 5, 2023

Southern-Style Green Beans (93 of150)

Photo from Spicy
Southern Kitchen
This house smells amazing. All day I've had Dad on my mind because the smell of these bad boys cooking reminded me of him. 

Dad would frequently get a box of green beans and then cook them for hours with a ham bone. Sometimes he'd toss in potatoes. But the smell of cooking green beans is a smell that I associate with dad. 

I've never made Southern Style Green beans - which is basically cooking them for hours, like dad. So I made them for book club. Janet was making pulled pork and I thought this would be a nice side. 

These were scrumptious (can green beans be scrumptious?). I had to make the bacon part twice because the first round of bacon got eaten - weird. I will be making these again. Super easy, just requires a little planning for them to cook for 2 hours. 


Southern-Style Green Beans
Recipe from Spicey Southern Kitchen
Serves 6

  • 4 slices bacon,, diced
  • 2 pounds green beans ends snapped off and longer beans snapped in half
  • 2 c chicken broth
  • 2 c water
  • 1 tsp seasoned salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1 T butter, optional

Brown and crisp bacon in a large pot. Remove bacon from pot and reserve.

Add green beans to pot along with all remaining ingredients, except butter.

Bring to a boil and then turn heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 1-2 hours, stirring occasionally.

Drain beans and add butter if using. Check beans for seasoning and add extra salt and pepper to taste. I like lots of black pepper. Sprinkle with bacon and toss to distribute the bacon and butter.

No comments: