Saturday, December 24, 2022

Melt-In-Your-Mouth Cubed Steaks (Recipe 156 of 150)

Photo from Just a Pinch
It's this type of recipe that I can do in my sleep and "make up" on my own that it makes this one feel
like cheating. Still, it is technically a "new" recipe. 

And overall it's a good recipe. I wish I would have made mashed potatoes to eat with it because the gravy was yummy. 

My one piece of advice whenever using Onion Soup Mix is don't salt anything until you get the mix in and taste it. That mix is pretty salty and you may not need as much salt as you think. 


Melt-In-Your-Mouth Cubed Steaks
Recipe from Just a Pinch
Serves 4

  • 1 - 1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
  • salt and pepper
  • 4 large cubed steaks
  • 1 pkg Lipton beefy onion soup mix
  • olive oil
  • 2 c water

Preheat oven to 350. Heat olive oil in large (cast iron works best) skillet on med-med/high heat.

Mix flour, salt & pepper in a plate.

Dredge cubed steaks in flour mixture.

Brown steaks maybe 5 min. per side.

Place cooked cubed steaks in a deep casserole dish. Drain oil from skillet, reserving steak/flour residue. [JW Note: I did my steaks in a cast iron dish that can go into the oven. I removed the steaks and set them aside. I had very little oil in the pan so I just left it.]

Mix soup mix with 2 cups water in a bowl. Pour water into cast iron skillet. [JW Note: The cast iron was already hot enough when I poured the water in to deglaze.]

Turn heat higher whisking to loosen browned bits in skillet. I sometimes add some of the leftover flour at this time... mixture does not need to be thick as it thickens in the oven. [JW Note: I added about a tablespoon of the left over flour mixture. It turned out perfect.]

Pour this mixture over cubed steaks. 

Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour. [ JW Note: I checked mine after 30 minutes AND I left the lid on the cast iron. I think the liquid would have dried out too quickly otherwise.]

Makes its own gravy & cubed steaks are so tender, you won't need a knife!

No comments: