Sunday, December 4, 2022

Green Beans with Bacon-Balsamic Vinaigrette (Recipe 148 of 150)

It's not often my new recipe is a vegetable recipe. I tend to just do the boring old standby of broccoli or
Photo from My Recipes

asparagus. I like green beans, but they have a weird texture to me. I can usually get past that texture by using the French green beans (haricoverts - or as I like to call them "harry armpits"). The thing is, it's hard to find them without having to go to two different stores (Trader Joe's always has them. Safeway does not).

The BFF took me to the grocery story on Friday and we went to Fred Meyer by our houses. Not my favorite store. In fact, I hate it. But they have French green beans. So maybe I'll have to swing by to get the green beans. 

This was a good recipe. I overcooked the green beans (bad timing with the tritip on the grill). And I burnt the shallots (see previous comment about timing). All that being said, the balsamic is the star of the flavor here. I didn't have white balsamic. I thought I did but turned out it was Sherry vinegar. 

Now thinking about everything that went wrong with this recipe, I wonder if I'd like the real recipe. I might have to try this again. 

Green Beans with Bacon-Balsamic Vinaigrette
Recipe from MyRecipes
Serves 8
  • 2 pounds green beans
  • 2 bacon slices
  • 1/4 c minced shallots
  • 3 T coarsely chopped almonds
  • 2 T brown sugar
  • 1/4 c white balsamic vinegar

Cook green beans in boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water. Drain well; set aside.

Cook bacon in a small skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon from skillet. Crumble; set aside. Add shallots to bacon fat in skillet; sauté 1 minute. Add almonds; sauté 1 minute. Remove and let cool. Add sugar and vinegar; stir until sugar dissolves. Add crumbled bacon.

Pour vinaigrette over beans, tossing gently to coat.

No comments: