Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Creamy Honey Mustard Chicken with Crispy Bacon (Recipe 153 of 150)

Photo from Cafe Delites
Its funny sometimes how my brain works. I saw this photo on one of my favorite food bloggers site and I thought, "Yummy". I read nothing. Nothing of the recipe. Nor, apparently, the title of the recipe. 

Tonight as I read the recipe to prepare for making it I realized it's honey mustard. Which isn't my favorite. But since I had all the ingredients, I went ahead and made it. 

It had too much sweet for me and not enough mustard flavor (which I like). So I added a tablespoon of dijon after the milk and cream. That did the trick. 

It certainly isn't a favorite and one I may not ever make again, but it was interesting to make. AND, the best part, I got to use up my stone ground mustard that was hanging out in the fridge.


Creamy Honey Mustard Chicken with Crispy Bacon
Recipe from Cafe Delites
Serves 4
  • 1/3 c honey
  • 3 level T whole grain mustard
  • 1 1/2 T minced garlic, (or 3-4 cloves crushed garlic)
  • 1 T olive oil
  • Salt to season
  • 5 skinless and boneless chicken breasts (or chicken thighs)
  • 1/2 c diced bacon, trimmed of rind and fat (I used 4 small bacon rashers)
  • 1/3 c cream 
  • 1 c milk 
  • 1 tsp cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water
  • 2 T chopped fresh parsley

In a large, shallow dish, combine the honey, mustard, garlic, oil and salt to taste (not too much salt if serving with bacon as the bacon will add a salty flavor when served). Coat chicken evenly in the sauce. Set aside.

Heat a nonstick pan (or skillet) over medium heat. Fry bacon until crispy; transfer to a plate. To the same pan, sear chicken fillets on each side in the oil left over from the bacon until just beginning to brown (about 3 minutes per side -- not completely cooked through as we will finish them in the sauce).

Add any remaining honey mustard sauce into the pan along with the cream and milk. Bring to a simmer while stirring occasionally to mix the flavors through the sauce (about 3 minutes), until the chicken is cooked through. Transfer the chicken to a warm plate.

Pour the cornstarch mixture into the center of the pan, mixing it through the sauce until it thickens. Place chicken back into the pan; coat with the sauce. Top with the bacon and garnish with parsley.

Serve over steamed / roasted vegetables for lower cal options. Also great with pasta, rice or mashed potatoes!

No comments: