Monday, September 26, 2022

Grandma's Vegetable Soup (Recipe 127 of 150)

It's fall. And fall means soup/stew season. Though when I planned this on Saturday I didn't know today would be 80 degrees. Fall in the Pacific Northwest!

This is a super easy recipe that will clean out your pantry. I didn't add extra potatoes like the recipe calls. I am not a huge fan of potatoes in soup. They get all mushy in the leftovers. I had a can of VegAll in the pantry so that went in in for fun. 

Once it was all together, I felt like it was missing something. So I put in a dash of Worcestershire sauce. Made all the difference. 

The ginger made no sense to me. A pinch didn't do a darn thing to the recipe. I'd leave it out honestly. 



Grandma's Vegetable Soup
Recipe from Cook It Once
Serves: 8

1 pound ground beef
1 (46 ounces) can tomato juice
1 onion, chopped
2 carrot, (7-1/2")s carrots, chopped
2 medium (2-1/4" to 3" dia, raw)s potatoes, diced
1 (14 ounces) can whole kernel corn
1 (14.5 ounces) can green beans
1 pinch ground ginger
salt and ground black pepper to taste

In a large saucepan, cook the ground beef over medium heat. Crumble and stir until no longer pink.

Drain excess grease before adding in the tomato juice.

Saute the onion, carrot, and potato.

Add in the cans of corn and green beans.

To taste, season with ginger, salt, and pepper.

Adjust the heat to low and continue to simmer for about an hour.

No comments: