Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Cottage Pie (aka Shepherd's Pie with beef) (Recipe 115 of 150)

I made up a recipe! Sorta. 

Tonight was book club and I wanted to make something that I could make ahead and just pop in the oven. Shepherd's Pie is something I've never made, so I figured I'd give it a try. 

I found a couple of recipes and I realized that Shepherd's Pie is really quite simple and Hunter's Stew but with mashed potatoes. 

It turned out delicious and I'd say I'll make it again for sure. Comfort food 100%. 

Pro tip: If you judge how to make mashed potatoes by one potato per person, double it for Shepherd's pie. I wanted a thicker layer of mashed potatoes and 4 potatoes just barely covered it. It turned out fine, but I would prefer more potatoes. 

And really, I keep calling this Shepherd's Pie, but I've been told it's Cottage Pie because I used beef. Shepherd's Pie is made from lamb. 

So here's my made up recipe. 

Cottage Pie
Serves 6 or 4 with left overs for everyone.

1 lb ground beef
1 can Veg all, drained
1 small can corn, drained
1 can green beans, drained

4 russet potatoes
1 stick butter
1/4 to 1/2 c milk

Brown your ground beef and be sure to drain it. 
Dump in the corn, Veg all, and green beans. 
Season to taste

Boil the potatoes. Rice them (or mash them however you do it). Add the stick of butter and milk. Salt and pepper to taste. 

Put the beef mixture in a 9X13 dish or whatever fits for you. Top with mashed potatoes evenly. 

Put in a 350 oven for about 30 minutes or until the potatoes start to brown a little. 

Serve. 



No comments: