Thursday, April 21, 2022

Creamy Pesto Chicken Tortellini (Recipe 57 of 150)

I'm starting to think I prefer tortellini made for me in a restaurant. There's something about restaurant tortellini that just makes it taste better. 

This recipe was good, but not great. I mean it was just ok. It lacked flavor for me. It could be because I didn't put in the sundried tomatoes (blech) but I doubt it. I also think I'd prefer to cook my pasta separately and not in a one pot. 


Creamy Pesto Chicken Tortellini
Recipe from Spicy Southern Kitchen
Serves 4
  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • salt and pepper
  • 2 T extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 cups half-and-half
  • 1 (7-ounce) container basil pesto
  • 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
  • 12 ounces refrigerated cheese tortellini
  • 1/3 c slivered sun-dried tomatoes
  • 1 c freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
  • 2 T chopped fresh parsley

Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces and season with salt and pepper.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook 2 minutes to brown it.

Add garlic and cook 1 more minute.

Add the half-and-half, pesto and crushed red pepper flakes and stir to mix well. When it comes to a simmer, add the tortellini. Make sure the tortellini is as submerged as possible.

Turn heat down to maintain a gentle simmer. You don't want it to boil or the half-and-half may curdle.

Place a lid on the skillet and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until tortellini are cooked through.

Note: If you don't have a lid for your skillet, you can use a round baking sheet or aluminum foil.

Remove from heat and stir in the sun-dried tomatoes and Parmesan cheese.

Check for seasoning and add salt and black pepper to taste.

Sprinkle with parsley and serve.

No comments: