Saturday, April 9, 2022

Blue Cheese Dressing

I've recently decided I won't be buying bottled salad dressing anymore. My favorites are so easy to make and tastes way better, I just don't think it's worth it. I make Ranch almost every other week. I use the recipe on the back of the Uncle Dan's powdered ranch. AND I make sure I use real buttermilk. I think that makes all the difference. 

Blue cheese is my other favorite. My mom LOVED blue cheese and every time I eat it I think of her. This particular recipe I've made a dozen times over the years, but never put on the blog. I know it by heart and don't even have to think about making it. 

I do add a couple of things to it though over the years. I've put them below with my initials by it so you know it wasn't part of the original recipe.

Blue Cheese Dressing
Recipe from Food Network

Makes 1.5 pints
  • 1 c mayonnaise
  • 1/2 c buttermilk
  • 1/2 c sour cream
  • 3 dashes Worcestershire sauce - I think I put in about 2 tsps
  • 4 ounces blue cheese crumbles - do not skimp on this. It really makes the flavor of this dressing
  • 2 T chopped chives - JW: I use dried ones most of the time, but when I use fresh ones I say I'm going to always use fresh. 
  • 1 dash salt, plus more if needed
  • 1 large pinch of garlic salt (JW add)
  • 1 large pinch of onion salt (JW add)
  • 1 large pinch cayenne (JW add)
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper, plus more if needed JW: I almost never remember to add this in. But am glad when I do.
In a bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, buttermilk, sour cream and Worcestershire until smooth. Stir in the blue cheese crumbles, chives, salt, pepper and other JW adds.

Taste and add more seasoning if needed. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving; the flavors deepen as it chills!

No comments: