Monday, April 11, 2022

Coq au Vin (Recipe 53 of 150)

Photo from MyRecipes.com
This was dish two for Sunday Dinner French theme. I just couldn't decide between the Beef Bourgignon and this, so I made both.

I think what shocked me about this recipe is the ENTIRE bottle of wine it calls for. I realize that wine is in the subject, but I hadn't anticipated a full bottle. Thank god I have a whole bunch of them to choose from. 

This was a delicious recipe. The chicken was so tender and fell off the bone. I cooked this for longer than the recipe calls for. I had it in a 300F oven for 2 hours. It wasn't necessary, its just what I did. 

Also, oddly enough, I couldn't find pearl onions at either of the grocery stores I frequent. I wasn't interested in hitting any additional to find them so I kept them out. 

Coq au Vin
Recipe from MyRecipes.com
Serves 4

4 applewood-smoked bacon slices, cut into 1-inch pieces
4 chicken drumsticks, skinned
4 chicken thighs, skinned
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper, divided
1 c finely chopped onion
1/2 c finely chopped celery
1/2 c finely chopped carrot
1 tsp finely chopped fresh thyme
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 bay leaves
1 T tomato paste
1 (750-milliliter) bottle red wine
2 c lower-sodium chicken broth
1 T extra-virgin olive oil
8 ounces button mushrooms, quartered
6 ounces frozen pearl onions
1/4 c chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Cook bacon in a large, deep skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan. Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings in pan. Sprinkle chicken with salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add chicken to drippings in pan; cook 5 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove chicken from pan.

Add onion and next 5 ingredients (through bay leaves); cook 5 minutes. Add tomato paste; cook 1 minute. Stir in wine; bring to a boil. Cook 10 minutes or until reduced by half, stirring occasionally. Return chicken to pan. Add broth; bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer 35 minutes or until chicken is done, turning after 20 minutes. Remove chicken from pan; cover.

Heat a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil to pan, and swirl to coat. Add button mushrooms and pearl onions; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook for 10 minutes or until golden, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.

Place chicken cooking liquid over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Cook until reduced by half (about 10 minutes). Discard bay leaves. Stir in mushroom mixture. Return chicken to pan; simmer 5 minutes or until heated. Sprinkle with parsley and bacon.


No comments: