Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Steak & Ale Soup with Potatoes (Recipe 44 of 150)

Photo from Cuisine at Home
This might be the last soup of the season. And yes, there's a season for soup. At least according to the Laws of Jenn. As the weather gets warmer, soup/stews are not something I crave. They are reserved for cold fall/winter nights. Not that tonight was cold or anything. In fact, it was sunny and beautiful out. NO matter. Soup is what the random generator came up with. So soup is what I made. 

This was a delicious soup. I halved it like I do all my recipes. I'm sure this will be a good left over, but only one. 

If I made this again I'd get a stronger tasting ale. I used Stella because that's what was in my fridge. 

I also added more Worcestershire sauce. I like that savory flavor to permeate. A bowl of this with a side salad was just was the dr. ordered. It's quick. It's easy. And it's delicious. 


Steak & Ale Soup with Potatoes
Recipe from Cuisine at Home Oct 2019
Serves 6
  • 3 T olive oil, divided
  • 1 lb rib eye steak, thinly sliced, cut into bite size pieces, seasoned with salt and pepper
  • 1 1/2 c peeled and diced russet potatoes (Jenn's Notes: I used 1 Yukon Gold. I find they don't get as mushy in soup as russetts)
  • 1 c diced onion
  • 1 c diced carrots
  • 1/4 c flour
  • 1 T minced fresh garlic
  • 1 T tomato paste
  • 1 bottle amber ale (12 oz)
  • 4 c beef broth
  • 1 T Worcestershire sauce
  • Salt and Pepper to taste

Heat 1 T oil over medium-high heat. Add steak and cook until brown, 3 minutes; transfer to a plate. 

Add remaining 2 T oil to same pot and heat over medium. Stir in potatoes, onions, carrots, flour, garlic and tomato paste; cook until onions begin to soften; 3 minutes

Deglaze pot with ale, scraping up any brown bits. Add broth, W sauce, and steak to pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are fork tender, about 10 minutes. 

Season with salt and pepper and serve.

No comments: