Saturday, March 26, 2022

Slow Cooker Teriyaki Beef Tip Steaks (Recipe 42 of 150)

Well, this recipe did not start out well. Even though the title says "slow cooker" my brain did not
Photo from The Mom100

connect that it needed to actually get into a slow cooker. So I had to improvise. 

I got it on the stove around 3:30 (which 4 hours in the slow cooker would have me eating way too late). I decided to just slow cook it on the stove for a couple of hours. I'm not sure it made one bit of difference. 

I did not put the corn starch in when I put it on the stove. I added a little water too just to give it some braising room. I cooked it at a low simmer for about 2.5 hours. 

This might be a better recipe in the slow cooker. The sauce was too thin and it did need some cornstarch to thicken it up. I felt like this teriyaki sauce needed something. I just don't know what. 


Slow Cooker Teriyaki Beef Tip Steaks
Recipe from Themom100.com

Serves 6
  • 1 T cornstarch
  • ½ c less sodium soy sauce
  • ¼ c light or dark brown sugar
  • 2 T finely minced peeled fresh ginger
  • 3 T mirin rice wine; optional
  • 2 T vegetable or canola oil divided
  • 2 pounds beef tip steaks cut into 2-inch pieces
  • ½ c chopped onion
  • 2 tsp minced garlic
  • Hot cooked rice brown or white, to serve
  • Thinly sliced scallions for garnish optional

In a small bowl combine the cornstarch with 1/4 cup water until the cornstarch is dissolved. Add the soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, cornstarch, and mirin, if using. Set aside.

Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the steak for about 2 minutes on each side. Remove and add them to the slow cooker. In the same skillet add the remaining tablespoon of oil and turn the heat to medium. Sauté the onions and garlic for about 3 minutes, until slightly softened. Stir the sauce and add it to the pan, and stir to scrape up any browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Pour the sauce over the meat in the slow cooker, and then set the slow cooker to high for 4 hours.

Serve the beef teriyaki over the rice, with the scallions sprinkled on top if desired.

No comments: