Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Slow Cooker Beef Pot Roast (Recipe 73 of 125)

Photo from The Novice Chef
Last night was book club. And not just book club...but IN PERSON book club! Woot. Finally. I knew I wouldn't have too much time to cook before the ladies arrived so I opted for pot roast. 

My dad LOVED pot roast. We had it at least monthly. I'm always on the lookout for a good pot roast recipe...and yet, every time I try a new one, I think my original recipe is just fine. 

This one was ok. Not any better or worse than any other recipe. I won't make it again because, again, my regular pot roast recipe is fine and better. 

Slow Cooker Beef Pot Roast
Recipe from The Novice Chef blog

Serves 8

4 (1 oz) packets McCormick Brown Gravy Mix
3 T corn starch
1 c brewed coffee
8 oz red wine (cabernet)
1/2 c reduced sodium soy sauce
3 T Worcestershire sauce
8 large cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
2 T oil
3 lb bottom round roast
1 large bag carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
1 large sweet yellow onion, roughly chopped
2 c sliced Portobello mushrooms

In a large bowl, whisk together McCormick Brown Gravy Mix and cornstarch. Slowly whisk in coffee so there are no lumps. Then whisk in wine, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and black pepper. Set aside.

In a large heavy bottomed pot over medium high heat, add oil. Add meat and quickly sear on all sides. Transfer meat to slow cooker.

Top meat with carrots, onion and mushrooms. Pour gravy mix on top and place lid on slow cooker.

Cook on low for 8 hours.

Remove roast from slow cooker, shred with forks. Stir gravy and vegetables to combine.

Serve roast topped with gravy and vegetables over mashed potatoes.

No comments: