Thursday, May 6, 2021

Green Enchilada Chicken Soup (Recipe 69 of 125)

MAKE THIS RECIPE! Well, make it if you want too AND only if you can stand a little heat. This recipe was so freaking fantastic. It's rare that when I taste a new recipe I have to stop and think, 'Is it really that good? It can't be." Second taste..."OH Lord it is!"

A couple of things...
  1. I don't think the cream cheese is necessary at all. It causes an odd texture to me and really didn't add much flavor.
  2. Don't salt it until the end. I added zero salt and I'm glad I didn't. The enchilada sauce and the salsa has enough for me.
  3. I complete forgot the cumin, which is ok for me as I'm not a huge cumin fan, but it would definitely add to the flavor.
  4. I didn't bother with the corn tortillas either. I had some left over low carb flour tortillas and I used those as a "bread". 
  5. Add the Monterrey Jack cheese a little at a time. I learned this when making mac and cheese. It doesn't clump and melts much nicer. Keep stirring too because the cheese could stick to the bottom of the pan. 

Green Enchilada Chicken Soup
Recipe from 12 Tomatoes

Serves 6
  • 2 T olive oil
  • 1 small yellow onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 3 c chicken broth
  • 1 (28 oz) can green enchilada sauce
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 c heavy cream
  • 2 c Monterey Jack cheese, grated
  • 4 oz cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 c salsa verde
  • 2-4 corn tortillas, halved and cut into strips
  • Fresh cilantro, for serving.
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft and translucent, 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more.

Add chicken breasts and broth and bring to a simmer. Cook until chicken can be easily shredded with a fork. Remove chicken and shred.

Return chicken to pot, along with enchilada sauce, cumin, heavy cream, cream cheese, salsa verde, and Monterey Jack. Cook, stirring often, until cheese has melted.

Season to taste with salt and pepper, stir in tortilla strips, serve with cilantro, and enjoy!

No comments: