Sunday, May 23, 2021

John's BBQ Chicken (Recipe 80 of 125)

Welcome to another edition of Recipes from Mom's Gray Tin Box. Today's recipe is from someone...no idea who "John" is. I have a feeling it's John Ortiz who was a good friend when we lived in Lancaster. He frequented our house on Friday nights for dinner. Anyhow, I suspect this might be from him. 

This recipe uses reconstituted lemon juice - which I read as frozen lemonade. I couldn't find anything else that said "reconstituted lemon juice". The frozen lemonade added not only a tart flavor, but a hint of sugar too. It was a nice touch. I took the frozen lemonade out the night before so it would be all liquified by marinade time. 



VERY easy recipe and really good. 

What would I do different: 
  1. I wouldn't add 1/2 c vegetable oil. I'd add just 1/4 c instead. The marinade was too greasy. 
  2. I took about 1/4 c out and set it aside for the basting. I'm not a fan of basting with marinade that raw chicken was sitting in. 
  3. I'd add salt. The recipe calls for garlic salt, but it wasn't salty enough. 

Overall, great recipe. I grilled it - shocking I know. It'd be a good recipe to make and have chicken for salads all week. 



John's BBQ Chicken 
Recipe from Mom's Gray Tin Box
Serves 4

  • 1 Fryer chickn (3.5 lbs), cut up
  • 1/2 c reconstituted lemon juice
  • 1/2 c vegetable oil
  • 1 tsp garlic salt
  • 1 tsp oregano leaves
  • 1/4 tsp pepper

Mix all the ingredients together (except chicken) in a mason jar and shake to combine. 

Put chicken in shallow dish. Pour marinade over it. 

Marinade for 6 hours or overnight. Grill or broil. Turn the chicken and baste with remaining marinade.

No comments: