Saturday, May 8, 2021

Barbecue Round Steak (Recipe 70 of 125)

Sherrie came over for dinner last night on a whim. Thankfully I had plenty. I had made this without the flour anyhow, cuz I really don't think it adds to it. So her lack of gluten self could eat it without issues. 

This was good. I couldn't find "bottom round" at my store, so I bought cube steaks. It worked out pretty well I think. I also didn't have bacon fat - which I'm sure would have made the flavor more smokey, but it wasn't missed by me. 

Barbecue Round Steak
Recipe from Deep South Dish
Serves 4

2 to 3 pounds bottom round steak (NOT top)
1/4 c all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp seasoned salt (like Lawry's)
2 T bacon fat, vegetable or canola oil
1 c chopped onion
1/2 c chopped green bell pepper
1/4 c chopped celery
2/3 c ketchup
1 c water
1 T lime juice
2 T brown sugar
2 T Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 T  yellow mustard
Splash of hot sauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cut round steak into serving sized pieces.

Combine the flour and seasoning salt and rub on both sides of each piece of steak. Use a meat mallet to tenderize.

Heat fat in a large skillet and brown the meat in batches on both sides; remove and place into a baking dish. To the same skillet, add the onion, bell pepper and celery and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer vegetables on top of the meat in the baking dish.

Whisk together all of the remaining ingredients and pour over the steaks. Cover tightly and place in preheated oven. Bake, covered at 350 degrees F, for about 1-1/2 to 2 hours, or until tender.

Serve with a side salad or green veggie and rice or potatoes.

No comments: