Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Pepper Crusted Steak with Worcestershire-Butter Sauce

So many people I know have a hard time pronouncing Worcestershire.  I learned after my visit to England.  Phonetically its: WorsTashur.  Not Wor-Chester-Shire - which is how it was pronounced in my family. To make things simple, I call it "W Sauce.

I heart W sauce. It's got such a distinctive taste and can add that little hint of flavor to just about anything. 

I've had this recipe for about - well a long time. The difficulty for me was actually frying the steak. I'm so used to slamming a steak on the BBQ that actually frying it brings tears to my eyes.  Still, I decided to fry it tonight and have the "little brown bits" for the sauce.

I'll be BBQing it next time. Completely overcooked the steak. Still the sauce and steak were delicious.  My one recommendation, and something I would not skimp on, is use FRESH GROUND PEPPER.  Pepper that's already been ground loses some of it's umph. Take the time to grind some fresh peppercorns and the flavor is quite amazing.

Pepper Crusted Steak with Worcestershire-Butter Sauce
Courtesy of Cook's Illustrated - I think. It might be Cook's Country which is done by Cook's Illustrated.
Serves 4

  • 4 strip steaks eight to ten ounces each
  • 1 T coarsely ground pepper
  • 1 T vegetable oil
  • 1 shallot, minced
  • 1/2 c red wine
  • 1/2 c low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/4 c Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tsp fresh thyme, minced
  • 2 T unsalted butter

Pat steaks dry with paper towels and season with salt. Rub one side of each steak with pepper. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Place steaks peppered side down in skillet and cook until well browned on both sides, 3-5 minutes per side. Transfer to plate and tent with foil.

Add shallot to empty skillet and cook until softened, about 1 minute. Add wine, broth, Worcestershire sauce, and thyme and simmer, scraping up browned bits with wooden spoon, until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Add accumlated steak juices to pan, whisk in butter, and season with salt. Pour sauce over steaks. Serve.

No comments: