Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Muffin Pan Potato Gratins

Oh potato gratins...how I love thee.

As a single person its rare I get to have potato gratins, or au gratin potatoes.  Most recipes just make too much.

Until now. 

I've found a recipe that's perfect to feed a single girl or an entire house full of guests. 

These little individual gems I made for this month's Sunday dinner. The accompanied the Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots and flank steak marinated in the Better than A-1 marinade.

My one recommendation is get small russets.  I got medium size like they suggested, but they were too big once sliced to fit into the muffin pan, so I had to cut the slices in half.  After I made them I thought the russets that usually come in the plastic 10Lb bags would be perfect size.

Oh and I added Parmesan cheese in each layer too. Made a huge difference in flavor I think.  I also thought adding bacon bits, chives, or slices of garlic would be good too.

Photo by Everyday Food
Muffin Pan Potato Gratins
Recipe from Everyday Food
Serves 6

  • Unsalted butter, at room temperature; for muffin cups
  • 2 medium Russet potatoes
  • Salt and pepper
  • 6 tablespoons Heavy cream
 
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Lightly brush 6 standard muffin cups with butter. Thinly slice potatoes. Place 2 slices in each cup and season with salt and pepper. Continue adding potatoes, seasoning every few slices, until cups are filled.

Pour 1 tablespoon heavy cream over each. Bake until potatoes are golden brown and tender when pierced with a knife, 30 to 35 minutes. Run a thin knife around each gratin. Place a baking sheet or large plate over pan and invert to release gratins. Flip right side up and serve.

No comments: