Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Grilled Chicken and Tapenade Sandwiches

After the surprise shower last Friday, I had a couple of cups of olive tapenade left.  Luckily it keeps well and it's a "leftover" I'll eat.

I knew I had some recipes that called for olive tapenade so I went looking for them. This was one I found.

This sandwich was as delicious as I thought it'd be. Super simple, and frankly I think one you could easily make with left over chicken even.


Grilled Chicken and Tapenade Sandwiches
Recipe from Cooking Light
Serves 4

Photo by Cooking Light
Note: I already had tapenade so I didn't follow this tapenade recipe. I merely added tomatoes and parsley to my already existing tapenade. My tapenade is 1c black olives, 1c kalamata olives, 1 c green olives with pimiento, 2 cloves garlic, 1 to 2 T balsamic vinegar. Food processor it all to the coarseness of large gravel.

  • 1 1/2 c diced seeded tomatoes
  • 2 T finely chopped pitted kalamata olives
  • 1 T chopped fresh basil
  • 1 T chopped flat leaf parsley
  • 2 T balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tsp chopped fresh oregano
  • 1/2 tsp minced garlic
  • 5 tsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
  • 1 pound skinless boneless chicken breast
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper cooking spray
  • 1/4 c crumbled feta cheese - I forgot the cheese on my sandwich. DOH!
  • 4 ciabatta sandwich buns

Combine first 7 ingredients in a small bowl. Add 2 teaspoons oil; toss gently to combine. Let stand 15 minutes.


Prepare grill.

Brush chicken evenly with remaining 1 tablespoon oil, and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Place chicken on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 6 minutes on each side or until chicken is done. Remove from grill. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing thinly.


Add cheese and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt to tomato mixture; stir gently to combine. Arrange sliced chicken evenly on bottom halves of rolls. Top each serving with one-fourth of tomato mixture, and cover with top halves of rolls.

Serve immediately.

No comments: