![]() |
| Photo from Cooking with Mima |
The moment I opened the new container, my kitchen was filled with that unmistakable garam masala scent. It smelled so good that I immediately knew I needed to make something with it. Luckily, I already had the perfect recipe waiting.
I've also been experimenting with something else lately. A lot of Indian-inspired marinades use yogurt, and while I love the flavor it adds, I'm just not a fan of the texture it leaves on grilled meat. It can get a little gritty, which isn't my favorite.
Since I happened to have buttermilk in the refrigerator, I wondered if it would work as a substitute. After a little research (and a quick ChatGPT consultation), it sounded like it should provide the same tangy flavor while still tenderizing the meat.
I'm happy to report it worked beautifully. The first thing I noticed was what wasn't there—that gritty yogurt coating was completely gone. The chicken grilled up with a much smoother finish, and the flavor was nearly identical. The buttermilk delivered the same tanginess I was looking for without changing the overall taste of the marinade.
At this point, I'm not sure I'll be going back to yogurt. Buttermilk may have just become my new secret ingredient for grilled marinades.
- 1 cup yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ginger and garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 ½ lb skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch size pieces

No comments:
Post a Comment