Tuesday, October 15, 2024

Italian Bean Soup

Photo from Yellow 
Bliss Road
I'm not really sure about this soup. All the ingredients are ingredients I love so it seems like I should love this soup, but it didn't hit quite right. 

Honestly, I think I'm so careful with salt now that this lacked salt. I added some to my bowl after and it wasn't exactly what was missing. At any rate, it was good enough for a meal and will be good enough for lunch tomorrow. 

Actually now that I think about it, I know the problem. I used ground beef instead of ground Italian sausage. That would have made all the difference. Why no Italian sausage you ask? Well, I didn't buy any. I'm really not sure how I missed it, but I did.

Italian Bean Soup
Recipe from Yellow Bliss Road
Serves 6
  • Olive oil
  • 1 pound ground Italian sausage sweet or spicy
  • 1 c diced onion
  • ½ c sliced carrots
  • ½ c sliced celery
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 1 tsp Italian seasoning
  • ½ tsp salt plus more to taste
  • ½ tsp pepper plus more to taste
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 tsp tomato paste
  • 15 ounce can crushed tomatoes
  • 15 ounce cans cannellini beans drained and rinsed
  • 32 ounces beef broth
  • 2-3 T fresh minced parsley
  • Freshly grated Parmesan cheese optional

Melt a tablespoon of olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausage and onion and cook, stirring often, until sausage is fully cooked. Add carrots, celery, garlic, Italian seasoning and bay leaf, tomato paste and cook for about 2 more minutes.

Pour in crushed tomatoes, beans and beef broth. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15-20 minutes.

Discard bay leaf and stir in fresh parsley. Divide into bowls and service, garnished with fresh parsley and Parmesan cheese.

No comments: