Sunday, October 6, 2024

French Onion Beef and Noodles

Photo from Insanely Good
Recipes
Beef Stroganoff is one of my favorite comfort foods. This recipe resembles it pretty well. A few different things to it, but it was pretty close. 

What I didn't like: 
  • The Gruyere cheese in it. Blech. I like Gruyere as a cheese to eat, but it really put an off taste to this dish to me. 
  • The onions basically dissolved in the sauce. I suspect I sliced them too thin for a stew that sits for 1.5 hours. There were only "bits" of onion in it by the time I served it. 

What I liked: 
  • The noodles. Egg noodles are one of my favorite type of noodles. Though oddly enough I don't use them when I make my stroganoff. 
  • The cream cheese added a nice tang to it along with the sour cream.

The reality is, while a good recipe, I doubt I'd make it again. I'd stick to my usual stroganoff recipe should the craving come up. 

French Onion Beef and Noodles
Serves 4
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1/2 cup dry red wine
  • 1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed French onion soup
  • 2 1/2 cups beef broth
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 12 ounces wide egg noodles
  • 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
  • Crispy fried onions, for topping

Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Season the beef cubes with salt and pepper. Add to the pot and brown on all sides, about 5 minutes total. Remove the beef and set aside.

Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the butter to the pot. Once melted, add the sliced onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are very soft and caramelized, about 25-30 minutes.

Add the garlic and cook 1 minute more. Pour in the red wine and simmer until mostly evaporated, scraping up any browned bits.

Stir in the condensed French onion soup, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Return the beef to the pot.

Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook until the beef is very tender, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Stir the uncooked egg noodles into the pot. Simmer, uncovered, until the noodles are tender, about 10 minutes.

Remove from the heat and stir in the cream cheese and sour cream until smooth. Stir in the shredded Gruyère.

Serve hot, topped with crispy fried onions. Enjoy!


No comments: