Thursday, October 10, 2024

Beef Barley Soup

It was a beautiful autumn day here in Seattle. The sun was out, it was crisp and it seemed like a perfect day to make soup. This time of year I try to make soup at least once a week. I love making soups and they make a great leftover.

I had some pearl barely from a recipe I made some weeks ago and I wanted to use them up. Note, I have not used them up. A little goes a long way with barely. The recipe calls for a cup of barely. I did not put in a full cup, I put in about 1/2 c. And that was enough for me. If you like a barely heavy soup, use 1 c. 

What I didn't do: 
  • Oddly, I forgot to put the garlic in. Not sure I missed it because there were a lot of flavors here that were good. 
  • I also left out the bay leaves. I'm not convinced they do squat to soups and stews. They're expensive and I really don't think they are necessary. 
  • I didn't put in the potatoes. I felt like this was already carb heavy with the barley and the beans. 
  • I didn't dredge the beef in flour either. I don't need the extra carbs and I am not convinced it would have made any difference. I like my soups more brothy than stew-y. 
What I did do:
  • Beans you say. What beans? Yah, so my brain had it that this recipe called for a can of navy beans. I had dumped them in before I realized they didn't belong. They were yummy in this recipe though. 
This was a good recipe. I'd make it again for sure. It's pretty simple and is really your basic beef, veggie soup. The barely was a nice add to it. Hearty. 


Beef Barley Soup
Serves 6
  • 1.5 pounds beef chuck or stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (optional, for browning)
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 3 carrots, peeled and diced
  • 3 celery stalks, diced
  • 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced (optional)
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 8 cups beef broth or stock 
  • 1 cup pearl barley, rinsed
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce (optional for depth of flavor)
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 cup diced potatoes (optional)
  • 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)

Pat the beef chunks dry with paper towels. Season generously with salt and pepper.

In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. Brown the beef in batches to avoid overcrowding the pot, about 3-4 minutes per side. Remove the beef and set it aside. For a richer flavor, you can dredge the beef in flour before browning for a thicker texture in the soup.

In the same pot, add a little more olive oil if needed. Add the onions, carrots, celery, and mushrooms (if using). Cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened. Add the garlic, thyme, oregano, and tomato paste, cooking for another 1-2 minutes until fragrant.

Pour in 1/2 cup of beef broth and scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon to release any browned bits (this adds great flavor to the soup).

Return the browned beef to the pot. Stir in the barley, remaining beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce (optional), bay leaves, and potatoes (if using).

Bring the mixture to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot partially with the lid and let simmer for 45-60 minutes, or until the beef is tender and the barley is cooked through. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.

Check the seasoning of the soup and adjust salt and pepper to taste. If the broth reduces too much, add more beef broth or water to thin it out to your preferred consistency.

Ladle into bowls and garnish with freshly chopped parsley. Serve with crusty bread or crackers on the side. Enjoy!

No comments: