Sunday, April 21, 2024

Pinquito Beans

In California in the mid 80s my dad discovered Tritip. I don't really know how he discovered it, but it
was an inexpensive hunk of meat that he got really adept at grilling. As Mom and Dad did, they invited a gaggle of friends to dinner one Friday night and a family friend, John Ortiz brough Pinquito beans. 

The story, as I remember it, was they are special beans only found in Santa Maria California. They're small pink beans (thus pinquito). The recipe was one John had found in a newspaper. 

Mom was hooked. We had pinquito beans several times a year when we'd have tritip. So the two became a couple to me. If you have tritip you have pinquito.

When we moved to Washington a sadness fell across the Wraspir house, you couldn't get pinquito beans in Washington state. Mom, ever resourceful though, had a friend in Lancaster send pounds of these beans to us. In one of the bags, Mom was gifted this recipe!

You can tell it was well used. I love finding these type of recipes in the Gray box. It shows it was one of their favorites AND that mom was a messy cook like me. Or, more likely, Dad did the cooking cuz he WAS a messy cook. 

I made these for Sherrie's birthday meal. She requested ribs. I wanted to make some baked beans, but she doesn't like them, so I opted for pinquito. You still can't find them in Wa state, but thank god for Amazon. 

I didn't soak the beans, I boiled them for 2 hours and then followed the rest of the recipe. I did not include MSG. I am not a fan so thought I could easily keep it out. 


Pinquito Beans
Recipe from ?? It was in Mom's Gray Recipe Box
Serves 10 easily
  • 2 lbs Pinquito beans
  • 1 envelope chili mix
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 lb bacon diced
  • 1/2 lb ground beef
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • 1/2 tsp MSG
  • 1 1/2 c tomato juice

Cover beans with water, bring to a boil and add salt and pepper. Turn heat to simmer and cook two hours or until tender. 

Sauté bacon, onion, garlic, seasonings, chili mix, tomato juice and ground beef.  Add mixture to beans and simmer one hour and serve. 

No comments: