Sunday, April 7, 2024

Lisbon Style Steak

It's been several months since our trip to Portugal. Upon return, I researched for recipes of some of the dish we had during our trip. This recipe we did not have, but when I saw it I knew I had to make it. 

I used a NY steak for this recipe because that's what was in the freezer. I also grilled it instead of pan fry it. I just can't. Beef needs to be grilled. 

I did, however, sauté the mushrooms, added the brandy and added the heavy cream. I felt like it was lacking because I didn't have the pan fry and get those yummy brown bits from that, so I added a tsp of beef broth paste from Better Than Bouillon. That did it. Wow. Did that make the flavor over the top delicious. 

When I got the NY steak off the grill and it rested, I sliced it then poured the mushroom gravy over it. 

Lord. It was delicious. I kinda wish I had made mashed potatoes, but I survived without them.


Lisbon Style Steak
Portuguese Recipes
Serves 4
  • 4 tenderloin steaks, cut 1/2 inch thick
  • 2 T of butter or margarine
  • 2 c heavy cream
  • 1/2 tsp of black pepper
  • 2 T of brandy
  • 1-8 oz. can of mushrooms
  • Salt to taste

Over medium heat , melt the butter in a 12 inch skillet.

Fry the steaks turning them over after 2 minutes or so (you do not want to over cook them at this point as they will finish cooking later).

Add the cream, mushrooms to the steaks and cook for 5 minutes.

Add the brandy and pepper and simmer over low heat for 5 to 10 minutes.

Serve with mashed potatoes or fries.

Recipe Credit: I. Borges

Photo Credit: recipeshubs.com

No comments: