Saturday, March 4, 2023

Ham and Bean Soup (Recipe 37 of 150)

Photo from Averie Cooks
Every single time I make this soup (like this one or this one) I am remind of my dad. He loved ham
hock and white bean soup. I remember at last twice a year dad would buy a huge ham hock and a couple bags of beans. My job would be to sort the beans from any rocks (which would bring back memories of my grandma). 

I do enjoy a good ham and bean soup. I've not been so successful in the past making this without the sodium count being through the roof. Tonight, I finally learned not to salt anything and it turned out fine. 

The paprika is new to me for this recipe. It added a nice warmth to the flavor profile.  This recipe wasn't that different from the others. The only difference is I salted NOTHING. 

So heed this warning...don't salt until you taste it in the end. 

Ham and Bean Soup
Recipe from Averie Cooks

Serves 8
  • 1 T unsalted butter
  • 1 large white or yellow onion, diced small
  • 1 carrot, peeled, trimmed, and sliced thinly
  • 3 to 5 cloves garlic, finely minced
  • 2 or 3 fresh thyme sprigs OR 3/4 tsp dried thyme
  • 3 15-ounce cans cannellini or great northern beans, drained and rinsed
  • 4 c chicken or vegetable stock
  • 1 pound ham, cubed (about 3 cups)
  • 1 tsp smoked paprika

To a large Dutch oven or stockpot. add the butter, onion, and sauté over medium-high heat for 5 minutes; stir intermittently.

Add the carrot and sauté for another 2 to 3 minutes, stir intermittently.

Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute, stirring nearly constantly.

Add all the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to medium-low or low, and simmer for approximately 20 minutes and serve.

Slow Cooker Instructions

To a large skillet, add the butter, onion, and saute over medium-high heat for 5 minutes; stir intermittently.

Transfer the onion, plus all remaining ingredients to at least a 7 to 8-quart slow cooker.

Cover and cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4 hours and serve.

No comments: