Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Peasant Bolognese (Recipe 34 of 125)

This is one of the recipes the Pantry Goat picked when she was over the other day. Since she benefits from my cooking I thought it'd be fun for her to pick a few. I did point out to her she should pick ones that would have lots of leftovers. And so this one was picked. 

This was an interesting twist on Bolognese. The chili powder and chorizo made it feel more like chili than Bolognese. All I could think was how good it'd be with beans. 

I'd make this one again for sure - but with beans as chili. 

I also didn't read the recipe right and didn't use slices of chorizo. I got the ground chorizo and I think that made this better.

Peasant Bolognese
The Pasta Cookbook
Serves 4
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 T Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 T flour
  • 2/3 c beef broth
  • 4 chorizo sausage, sliced
  • 7oz canned tomatoes
  • 1 T chopped basil
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Cooked spaghetti

Heat the oil in a skillet and cook ground beef thoroughly. Add the onion and chili powder and cook for 3 more minutes. 

Stir in the Worcestershire sauce and flour into the pan, making sure it's combined well. Continue to cook for 1 minute, then pour in the beef broth. 
Slice the chorizo sausage and stir into the sauce with the tomatoes and chopped basil. 

Season with salt and pepper. Bring sauce to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes. 

Serve with spaghetti. 

No comments: